Sunday, 17 March 2013

Chair love and stumbling blocks...

LOVE this chair in the latest issue of Vogue Living Australia. It's from Hermon & Hermon but I can't find any details about it on their website and there is no reference in the magazine ad...


Although I'm not overly taken with the shape I'm loving how the fabric is pieced together, the use of different fabrics and I simply adore velvet! Perhaps I like it because it has a reference to what I've been busy with:


This is my 'corduroy pathway' design (mixed in with my 'flower of life' design), paired with a beautiful aqua cotton velvet. (The H&H chair is actually more aqua in the magazine but didn't translate so well with the scan).

You will be seeing this image and many more very soon as part of what I have been keeping myself busy with behind-the-scenes.

I could write many posts about the ups and downs, trials and tribulations, frustrations of starting a business from the ground-up. I have shared some insights along the way... but I will be very honest here and say how completely lost I have been on more than one occasion with many aspects of this.

The truth is I had three new designs printed last year, around the same time as my surgery and I had all these plans about promoting them... I blogged about the process here and thought that during my recuperation period I would make and share but it never happened. I guess I was also busy with both my courses so I shouldn't be too hard on myself. Then towards the end of the year I did the Young Blood market at the Powerhouse Museum which turned out to be a huge disappointment on many levels and it threw everything into question yet again... even to the point of 'why am I doing this?' in the grand scheme of things... but more so about 'how do I get my stuff out there?'

I'm always reading blogs and anything I can find to try and get an insight into how other people do it and most people do markets, markets, markets.... well, if you can even get into a market these days this is actually not the path I want to go down and so I have been looking at other ways to market and promote my business and products. I even wrote a post about this here last year.

So if you have wondered where I've been and what I've been up to, the fact of the matter is I got terribly lost and confused... I pulled right back and only then was I able to figure out how I wanted to do things and so for the past little while I've been working to make that happen but it all takes longer than you think and I want it all to be just right as there are a few avenues that feed in and out of it... it's multi-layered you could say and I want it all to be set up before I share but as I see it all coming together I am getting excited again and looking forward to when I can share it all. I'm really hoping as the momentum picks up, as I put the plans in place there will be less and less time spent lost and confused and more time moving forward and making progress.