Saturday, 28 January 2012

Design development .../3

Following on from this post and this post I've been looking at shapes lately... geometrics to be exact. There are some beautiful examples of geometric pattern out there... you just have to type 'geometric' in the search bar on etsy to see what I mean.

It's funny how things happen. I wasn't so keen on geometric pattern as far as my designs go, preferring instead to keep to nature-inspired designs with the flora and fauna, however, in this recent period of assessing my designs, my style and especially in this beginning phase of the business I realised I'm still very much in the experimenting stage and am happy with that. Perhaps a business proves to be in a constant phase of experimentation and I guess I'll be happy with that too.

I read this post the other day over at Apartment Therapy - I'm not interested in conforming to trends, particularly in regards to wanting to ensure a sustainable approach to my business, therefore I would like my designs and colour choices to have longevity, to be timeless... and so this informs my designs much more than trends ever will. The thing with trends is, popular culture usual kills what it loves the most just by the absolute saturation of that one thing in the market place... this usually turns me off something pretty quickly and may well be the same for others.

Still, I think you can't help but be influenced but what you see around you, when done well and so for this reason geometrics have seeped into my subconscious in a very slow way and when I was looking back through my visual diaries this past week I found some things that made me realise geometrics have been on my mind for quite some time...


This was me experimenting with painting, something I've never been good at (except when it comes to blocks of solid colour on walls). What I'm really liking here is the diamond shapes on the left... the maker's mark is evident, they are uneven, crooked, imperfect... and that is what I like about them.

On a larger scale the design below (right-hand page) struck a chord with the lecturer way back when... and now I am seeing what he saw back then... the thing he liked was the hand drawn effect, how the pattern skewed slightly rather than being exact and precise:



Although I don't mind the colours they are probably not ones I would use. Colour is actually another aspect of my design process that I am thinking about at the moment. So far I have only been using one colour for my designs which I don't have a problem with but would one day like to incorporate at least two-colour designs into the mix... maybe once the business is more established and cash flow has improved, as the cost of this is obviously higher than just one colour, given that you need to separate the colours and have two screens.

What I also like about the above design is that geometrics and florals go together and pretty much always have, so even if I want to introduce geometrics, it doesn't mean I cannot incorporate them into my nature-themed designs... but I think I'll experiment with both - the combination and geometrics as a stand-alone element.


Again, ignore the colour but here is another example of how to use a geometric design such as diamonds, combining them with more organic motifs... the only thing is, for screen-printing the diamonds could not be joined, unless the repeat was broken up by something else in between.

... and here is an example of diamonds that are not joined together...


This was for bedlinen, a doona cover, with the front and back design... the use of diamonds and other geometrics such as stripes, is limitless really. For more patterns from a couple of my uni visual diaries you can go here.