Monday, 23 January 2012

Design development .../1

In my last post I was saying how I was contemplating my design process or probably more so, the results and asking myself questions like - is this how I want to proceed? Do I want to make changes? Do I want to define a style or allow it to develop organically over time.

As the business is still so new to me, particularly the textile design aspect of it, I know there are going to be nips and tucks along the way, testing the water in regards to the market, i.e. finding my niche and testing myself, defining my style.

In feeling a bit lost with it all at the moment I looked back on a couple of my old visual diaries from uni and realised how things can seep into our subconscious and inform our design process years later.

Here is an example from one of my visual diaries:

Design development, visual diary 2001 - image by me
Design development, visual diary 2001 - image by me
Design development, visual diary 2001 - image by me
'kangaroo paw' repeat - image by me
Finished product - 'kangaroo paw' hand screen-printed fabric - image by me