Sunday, 5 December 2010

Saturday outing - Hunter Arts Network Art Bazaar, Civic Park, Newcastle

Saturday 3rd December, 2010: While Sydney was hosting the Finders Keepers market the Newcastle creatives were wowing us with their talent at the annual Art Bazaar (click on that link to see the full list of stallholders - some of which have links to view their work).

I bought this striking work by artist / photographer Sue Hilder because it just spoke to me (of course it looks even better in real life)


I love red, perhaps it might even be my favourite colour, it's intense and passionate. I just have to find a frame for it now or have one tailor made. There was a series of these colour studies, green, blue, all beautiful but I liked the red one the most, it's so dramatic.

I enjoyed watching the talented Miranda Earle give a fabric printing demonstration and am keen to do some of her workshops in the new year.

There was so much to take in, it was nice that the rain held off and we walked around at a snail's pace taking it all in. I love markets and fairs, not just for the visual joy of it all but the whole ambiance makes me feel like I'm exactly where I should be, especially artisan markets.

Last year I bought this great print by Shane Audcius (sorry I may be mispelling her surname as it's really hard to make out her handwriting):


This was when I was contemplating my first 3 textile designs and it definitely influenced the idea to do a kangaroo print. I have yet to frame this one too...how slack am I...but there's also that excitement still when I unwrap it from the layers of papers protecting it.