Saturday, 2 October 2010

Retail therapy at The Olive Tree Markets

This morning I went along to The Olive Tree Markets and bought some delightful things...mostly to give as gifts. The first find was Anne Rok of rokabella designs (sorry no website to link to), with her handmade ceramic jewellery, art and homewares...and I bought these gorgeous little ceramic dishes...


The top two measure approximately 10cm in diameter and are fairly flat and the bottom two measure approximately 5cm in diameter and about 1.5cm high...like mini bowls. Aren't they just divine! Well done Anne and can't wait to see more of your work next month. For anyone who wants to get in touch with Anne she also takes commissions - her mobile is 0401 505 457 and her email is rokabella_designs@live.com

The first year of my degree was an introduction to textiles, ceramics and jewellery-making as we were to choose one as a Major in the second year. I have to say it was a real struggle to choose between textiles and ceramics and I was almost going to do a double Major but in the end chose textiles...needless to say I have a weakness for ceramics...not hard when they're this beautiful :)

The next items, from Shelano Australia were first seen by me at The Living Smart Festival a couple of weeks back and this was one of the main reasons I went along to the market today...to purchase some of Vicki's beautiful throws. The throws are made from recycled sari's that are hand-stitched together, no two are the same. They are made in Kolkata, India by young women who struggled to feed and clothe their family. 'Shelano was established out of a desire to bring freedom to these women who have very limited education and are at risk of abuse.' It's helping these women help themselves...for more information go to the Shelano website.






I think I must have been Indian in a past life because their fabrics really strike a chord with me and always have - as does their achitecture, furniture and food. I would love to do a textile tour there one day in the not-too-distant future :)

I very rarely venture into shopping malls anymore, I'm the exception I think when it comes to shopping because women are supposed to love it but I've never been a big consumer. I don't need the latest gadgets to make me happy...I'm happiest when I find something rare, unique or handmade...I'm more an organic and earthy type and love markets...so little wonder the above items captured my interest.