Wednesday, 2 June 2010

Textile designs, fabric and photos

I am very pleased to say after a steep learning curve I have completed the 'tweaking' of my first three textile designs and they are now ready for printing - oh joy :) My fabric has been ordered and once it arrives at the printers they are going to do some colour sampling for me and then we're ready to print - yay! It's ever so close now and I can't wait to have it back here so I can start making all those wonderful things I have planned as well as selling it as yardage.

In the meantime I have finally had a chance to scan and digitise more of my old photographs and have uploaded these to Flickr...you can check them out by clicking on my Flickr link over there on the right...but here's a sneak peek - a photo of Kata Tjuta.

These latest photos are from two separate trips to Central Australia, a solo trip in the late 1980's and a trip with my partner at the time in the mid 1990's. The majority of the photo's are from the second trip and it's weird because we visited so many places that I thought I would have more photos to show for it, being an avid photographer and all. So either I was too caught up in the moment or I have misplaced some along the way. In particular, I would have like to have some images of the magic waterholes we visited in Katherine Gorge, truly what dreams are made of...enticingly clean, fresh water to swim in, nestled in pre-historic rock formations dotted with vegetation...a hidden paradise.

I plan to use these photographs in combination with my textiles as the textiles are designed as a suite that is part of a range I can add to as I go, called Terra Australis.

I have been fortunate to travel fairly extensively throughout Australia, though there are still a number of places I have yet to experience. It was also a conscious thing on my part, as many people my age were shooting off after school to travel abroad, I first wanted to see my own country, leaving home at 17 to start that adventure. I have a real passion for my country (particularly natural environments) and its diversity and difference to other places around the world and I can't help but want this to inform my designs and my art. It did so while I was studying at university and will surely continue as I embark on this new journey into my creativity.

I'm hoping that my design, craft and art will strike a chord with my fellow Australians both here and abroad but also with visitors that are looking for something uniquely Australian to take home as a memento from their travels.